33rd Degree to knowledge


I'm not sure I can be treated as a java master, but fortunately thanks to Warsaw Java User Group I had a chance to attend the 33 Degree Conference. Schedule looked very impressive as there were many rock-star speakers and outstanding talks. It was really hard to choose valid path, but after taking some hard decisions I've created the custom agenda. I've never liked keynotes, so let me start from regular talks :)

I've already noticed that Estonia is quite unique in the market of superior Java tools - companies like ZeroTurnaround and Plumbr are doing really nice job. I like them especially when they are talking about as interesting things as JVM internals :) Nikita Salnikov-Tarnovski made very nice presentation titled How much memory do your objects really need? Apart from the fact that he is showman the talk was really interesing! He introduced java-object-layout tool which can analyze object layout schema in different JVM's - another advantage is that this project uses internally sun.misc.Unsafe ;)

I've also decided to check what Sławek Sobótka knows about my mother, and why she has never told me something important about automated testing. Fortunately after one hour of listening accurate metaphors and well grounded strategies I see that she didn't do that intentionally - ufff.... In the other case it would be very depressing fact.

Next step on my list was Baruch Sadogursky talking about Developing for multi-component environment while keeping your sanity. He described (IMHO very mature) process for maintaining developers environments in JFrog - using Chef, Vagrant and GIT. It was so professional that I still can't understand why he uses Windows instead of Linux? :)

Another good presentation was about Architecture without Architects. Erik Dörnenburg exchanged term "architect" with "gardener" - which sometimes adds new plants but mostly takes care of the existing ones. I totally agree with him! Especially when we compare the level of the details between software systems and civil engineering plans. The conclusion was that each developer has to take care of the system quality - not only "the chosen one". At the end he also shown some nice tools for visualizing source code like CodeCity - it looks delightful.

Last but not least (unfortunately aggrieved by going parallel with Venkat Subramaniam) was Andres Almiray. Groovy developer is definitely competent to talk about Polyglot Programming in the JVM. He  described similarities and differences between Groovy, Scala and Clojure. As Groovy has very nice and close to Java syntax, Scala is very powerful I thoroughly can't understand pros of Clojure... but I really understand why there are so many haters of this specific language ;)

Sadly I had no chance to attend the last day of the conference and listen about polyglot persistence and Vaadin 7 but maybe I'll have another opportunity in the next year :)

Comments

Not a fan of keynotes? Maybe we should suggest to drop them and replace with more regular lectures :)
StackHolder said…
That's really nice idea :) In fact on the JDD'12 there were no keynotes :)
Unknown said…
KeyNotes were great! Idea of 33Degree is that it's for Java Masters - so not only technical speeches, some of them was suitable for eg. team leaders how to lead a team. Do you know that some .NET guys came on this conference?
StackHolder said…
Ok, but why it have to be keynote and not just a regular talk? In my opinion there were nothing new in "7 things" or "decisions decisions".
Unknown said…
Well, dear Watson, I;ll tell You why - because of sponsors. They paid for possibility of talking to all atendies.
StackHolder said…
That's the point dear Sherlock :)

Popular posts from this blog

Overview of the circuit breaker in Hystrix

Understanding Spring Web Initialization

Do we really still need a 32-bit JVM?